March 16, 2019
Treatment for dark armpits
It is really frustrating and embarrassing with dark underarms. Ladies with dark armpits don’t feel comfortable wearing a sleeveless dress. So, if you are also looking for treatment for dark armpits we at ClearSkin can help you out. Our expert doctors have come with result-oriented treatments. Dr. Dhananjay Chavan will help you understand all about dark armpits. Do read the blog till the end.
Why my armpit is dark?
Do you know melanocytes determine the color of our bodies? Melanocytes are the cells that are responsible for the color of our skin. If these melanocytes multiply at a faster rate than usual then it produces pigmentation at that particular area. This is very common in dark complexion people as dark people have more amount of melanocytes which multiply on the faster rate.
If you are a diabetic patient then yes its more obvious to have dark armpits. Increase in the level of insulin in the body can lead to thickening and darkening of the body folds. It is typically called acanthosis nigricans. The common sites for this condition are nap of the neck, armpits, under the breasts, groins, etc.
What causes dark armpits?
There are a lot of causes for dark armpits. Some being cosmetic and some rare medical conditions. Following are some main causes for this condition:
- Friction: Friction is the commonest cause of the darkening of the skin. If you are overweight then there are high possibilities of you having dark underarms. Due to overweight, the skin present in the body folds gets rubbed against each other leading darkness in the folds like armpits. If you are habitual to wear tight clothes every day, then you may definitely suffer from pigmentation over the skin.
- Acanthosis Nigricans: Acanthosis nigricans is a medical condition where there is darkening associated with the thickening of the affected skin. In this condition, there is insulin resistance is seen. When the level of insulin increases in the body, it results in the thickening and darkening of particular body folds.
- Deodorants: Deodorants are the sprays that are pressurized and that contains alcohol. This combination really irritates the skin leading to dark pigmentation.
- Hot applications: If we apply hot applications such as hot wax in the most sensitive area like armpits, the hot application ultimately damages the cell present over there. It also causes irritation and redness of the skin.
- If you are using hair removal creams then you should be knowing that it contains chemicals that become harsh on the skin making it dark in appearance.
Best treatment for dark armpits
There are many treatments like topical applications, laser treatments, chemical peels, home remedies, etc. for removing the dark pigmentation in the armpits. But no doctor claims the 100% results from any of the treatments. But the results definitely vary according to the type of skin and obviously how dark is the pigmentation. So try to go with the combination treatment of laser as well as chemical peels.
- Laser treatment for dark underarms: Q-Switch laser is basically a beam of energy with a specific wavelength. This procedure works by absorbing the excess pigmentation i.e. this beam of light directly targets the excess melanin present in the area. Q-Switch acts best in pigmentation.
- MDA (Microdermabrasion): MDA is basically an invasive procedure commonly used to improve the skin structure. It rejuvenates the skin as well. MDA acts great in the treatment of an uneven skin tone. The device has a special applicator with an abrasive surface. This abrasive surface gently removes the thick outer layer of the pigmented skin and helps in making the skin even-toned. MDA is the safest treatment.
Do watch this video on skin pigmentation, it can also be beneficial for you if you are suffering from skin pigmentations also.
Home remedies for dark underarms
Let’s check which home remedies for dark underarms can be helpful for you.
- Apple cider: Just take a small amount of it on the cotton pad and apply it on the armpits. Let it dry completely and wash it off. Use it every day for sooner and effective results.
- Aloe vera gel: Aloe vera gel has the best antibacterial properties. It is also a natural sunscreen. Take a fresh leaf of the aloe vera extract, and apply it in your underarms. Let it dry for about 10 to 15 min and rinse it with water. Use every alternate day for the best results.
- Multani mitti: It has got the magical properties of lightening up the pigmented skin. You just need to take 2 tablespoons of Multani mitti and mix it with few drops of lemon juice and water to make a paste out of it. Apply it on the dark underarms and wait for 10 to 15 minutes to dry.
- Cucumber: Cucumber has great bleaching properties as well as it is full of vitamins. Just rub a few slices of cucumber in your underarms for 1 or 2 minutes. let the extract remain in there for 10 more minutes and then wash it off. Repeat this every day for good results. Cucumber works great in reducing the skin darkness.
I hope if you have loved reading this blog of treatment for dark armpits. Do share with your near and dear ones. Do call us on +91-7888091118 we will be happy to help you out if you have any queries.
Thank you so much for reading!
Dr. Dhananjay Chavan