Cyst Removal Treatment in Pune
Sebaceous cysts are bumps that form underneath the skin. When sebaceous glands clog, it causes sebaceous cysts. Sebaceous cysts form sac-like structures that contain an oily and foul-smelling discharge.
Cysts are abnormalities in the body, containing liquid or semi-solid material. They are noncancerous, and though they may be unsightly, they are usually asymptomatic.
Do & Don’t for Getting Cysts
DO: Drink plenty of water to detoxify your body.
DO: Consume a diet rich in vitamins and minerals, and healthy fats.
DON’T: Pop and poke the cysts.
DON’T: Carry out any strenuous activities.
DON’T: Smoke for at least 6 weeks after the surgery.
DON’T: Let the wound get dirty or infected.
Causes of Sebaceous Cyst
- The sebaceous gland is producing oil at a faster rate than can be released from the gland.
- The sebaceous gland or its duct becomes damaged or blocked, causing oil accumulation.
- Genetic conditions like Gardner’s syndrome or basal cell nevus syndrome.
- Lastly, hereditary conditions like steatocystoma multiplex.
Sebaceous cysts are generally found on the face, neck, scalp, and back. Moreover, these cysts may remain small or grow large.
A typical cyst –
- Is a small, round lump under the skin.
- Feels harder than normal skin.
- Is usually the same color as the skin
- Commonly has a small blackhead in the center called the punctum.
- Is often filled with foul-smelling white cheesy material.
- Sore and tender skin around the bump with redness develops if it gets secondarily infected with bacterias.
Cysts range from pea-sized, starting at about 1 centimeter, and can go up to 5 centimeters. If the cyst has a diameter larger than 5 centimeters, is showing signs of infection, such as redness, pain, or pus drainage, or is recurring really fast after removal, it is necessary to consult a doctor.
In fact, sebaceous cysts usually refer to epidermoid cysts or pilar cysts.
- Epidermoid cysts contain keratin, which is the protein in the top layer of skin and originates from the epidermis. But when the cells move into your skin instead of shedding they result in the formation of epidermoid cysts.
- Pilar cysts also contain keratin and originate from the hair follicles.
Cysts are non-cancerous and do not pose any health threats. However, they can be extremely uncomfortable. In general, sebaceous cysts do not require any treatment. Therefore, the most preferred course of action is to keep them clean and not try too many treatments.
However, if a cyst has burst or is secondarily infected, the doctor sometimes needs to lance and drain it. In such a case, the doctor may need to prescribe a course of antibiotics.
Dermatologists prescribe medicines like antibiotics in the form of pills and topical creams or injectables if required to treat infected sebaceous cysts. These will reduce the inflammation and pain of the cysts.
After the inflammation reduces, dermatologists remove your cyst with a curette or scalpel, after sanitizing the area. They may also stitch the area up. If removed completely with its wall, cysts usually do not recur after this procedure.
i.Sterilisation: The area to be treated is prepared by sterilizing the surrounding skin with an antiseptic (povidone-iodine) solution, to prevent any chances of infection.
ii. Anaesthesia: A local anesthetic (2% lignocaine with adrenaline) is injected or applied topically to the site to minimize or prevent pain during the procedure.
iii. Incision and removal: A small opening is made using a blade or with radiofrequency into the center (punctum) of the cyst after which the contents of the cyst are expressed out from that opening followed by removal of cyst wall and finally opening is closed with sutures if required and dressing.
Incision and drainage (I&D):
This is done if the cyst is secondarily infected with the collection of pus in it. This is done only to drain the pus and for symptomatic relief. Once the infection has subsided, surgery for cyst removal is required.
In this treatment, the cyst is excised/ removed completely either by surgical excision or punch excision.
This treatment is not done usually but can be done for very small lesions.
For treating your skin condition, feel free to get in touch with one of our best dermatologists in Pune. You can also call on +912071177333 to book an appointment at one of our skin clinics near you.