Scalp Psoriasis: Understand From Export Dermatologist
What Is Scalp Psoriasis: An Overview
Psoriasis a medical condition might not be known to all. It is an inflammatory disease which affects a part of a population.
Individuals who suffer from psoriasis normally experience red scaling papules which can appear on any part of the body. Mostly it is known to occur in body parts like scalp, elbow, knees etc. Psoriasis occurring on the scalp is also known as scalp psoriasis.
Let us examine some fact about scalp psoriasis.
- The exact cause of this disease is unknown.
- Normally the cause of psoriasis is associated with an abnormality in the immune system.
- When there is an abnormality in the immune system it leads to an immense quick growth of the skin cells leading to small patches.
- So many a times this disease can be genetic or hereditary. Psoriasis can be caused due to many reasons.
- Some say it can be due to excessive dryness.
- Also, many times the occurrence of the disease can be associated with stress.
Symptoms & Signs:
In appearance, Scalp psoriasis may be seen as small bumps and scaling of the skin.
When suffering from this psoriasis there are red scaling papules which further combine into plaques present on the skin hence causing excess scaling and itching.
On the scalp, these scaling sheds in the form of dandruff which can be quite prolific and hideous.So, in a nutshell, the symptoms of Scalp Psoriasis can be:
- Reddish Plaques
- Scaling of skin (Many times one may notice silvery – white scales)
- Excessive dry scalp
- Constant itching
- Hair fall/hair loss
- Excessive Dandruff
The word of caution here is to not try and scratch the scaling or the bumps off as it can worsen the condition. The symptom of Scalp Psoriasis can many times appear to be same as that of Seborrheic dermatitis. But it is necessary to know the exact disease you are suffering from to get a proper treatment.
In case the problem is getting profuse and worsening, it is advisable to go to a skin doctor and get the correct treatment done.
The cause of the disease is unknown so is the treatment. Many a time one may be able to get rid of the problem completely, and many times the problem may relapse.
Also, if the problem worsens it may lead to major hair loss. There are certain systemic or topical treatments for psoriasis that one can go for to get rid of the disease. But for availing this treatment it would be advisable to visit a skin doctor or a dermatologist.