A fungal infection on the skin is rarely serious and mostly does not spread beyond the skin’s surface. However, it causes discomfort since it leads to itchiness and skin irritation and can change the appearance of the skin. Some skin fungal infections cause redness and rash, while others may lead to a change in skin tone and colour.
How long does a fungal infection on the skin to clear up? A few days of treatment are sufficient to get relief from the itching and soreness caused by fungal infections on skin. It can take 2 to 6 weeks for the restoration of the skin’s appearance. How long a fungal infection lasts is based on how severe it is and the kind of treatment given for the same. Can a dermatologist help with fungal infections? Yes. Here we will look at the causes of fungal infections on skin, their symptoms, and how dermatologists can help in treating fungal skin infections.
Table of Contents
What are Causes of Fungal Infection on Skin?
- Fungal infection on skin occurs mainly due to contamination from objects or one may catch the infection from using objects like pillow covers, combs, and brushes previously used by an infected individual.
- A weakened immune system, long-term use of immunosuppressants, excess body weight, and some underlying health conditions increase your risk of getting a fungal skin infection.
- Lack of hygiene is the other common cause of fungal infections, wherein the skin fungus is transmitted from an infected individual to others or through contaminated objects or surfaces.
What are the types of fungal infections?
Fungal infections, also known as mycoses, arise in a variety of forms and can affect numerous regions of the body. Fungi that enter the body’s tissues, such as yeast and mold, can cause these diseases.
- Runner’s Foot: This common fungal infection, which damages the skin on the lower part of the foot, can be marked by itching, peeling, and redness.
- Candidiasis: This yeast infection can affect the mouth (oral thrush) and genital region (vaginal yeast infection), among other places on the body.
- Ringworm: Despite its name, ringworm is actually a fungal infection that can affect the skin on a number of different body areas and result in a circular, crimson rash.
What are Common Symptoms of a Fungal Infection on Skin?
The symptoms may vary from one fungal infection on skin to another but the commonly observed signs of a fungal skin infection include the following:
- Excessive itching and irritation
- Skin rash
- Roughness and a flaky or scaly skin
Fungal Infection on Skin: Treatment
- Topical antifungal creams are commonly used for treating fungal infections on the skin. Some creams can be bought over-the-counter while some require a medical prescription. However, it is best to avoid using any medication unless prescribed by a dermatologist.
- Antifungal medications kill the fungi and prevent further fungal growth.
- Topical antifungal medicines include fungal skin infection creams, lotions, ointments, gels, and shampoos.
- Anti-fungal medicines can also be taken orally.
- Medicated soaps can help in treating mild fungal skin infections.
- The best treatment for fungal skin infections is to keep the affected skin dry and clean.
As mentioned earlier, a dermatologist can help in treating fungal infections on skin and should be sought for help while seeking an effective treatment for the same. Since dermatologists are qualified in diagnosis and treatment for fungal infection on skin conditions, they are the best people to consult for fungal infections of the skin. They can identify the type and severity of the skin infection and administer a suitable treatment.
ClearSkin is one of the best skin care clinics in Pune to approach if you have a fungal infection on skin. It is a reputed skin clinic in Pune with a team of experienced dermatologists who can give you reliable advice on getting relief from skin fungal infections and several other skin conditions. The service at ClearSkin is excellent and the expert doctors there can guide you in the best way to attain healthy and beautiful skin.
For treating your skin condition, feel free to get in touch with one of our best dermatologists in Pune
. You can also call on +919584584111
to book an appointment at one of our skin clinics near you.