Laser Hair Removal
Laser hair removal is quite a popular cosmetic procedure. Laser hair removal is useful to get rid of unwanted hair from the face, leg, chin, back, arm, underarm, bikini line, and other areas.
Laser hair removal is quite a popular cosmetic procedure. It uses highly concentrated light on the hair follicles. The pigment in the hair follicles absorbs this light. As a result, the follicle is destroyed.
Laser hair removal is useful to get rid of unwanted hair from the face, leg, chin, back, arm, underarm, bikini line, and other areas.
Why is this procedure beneficial?
- Precision: Lasers target only the hair while leaving the surrounding skin undamaged.
- Speed: Each pulse can treat many hair follicles at the same time. Moreover, each pulse takes only a fraction of a second.
- Relatively permanent: Most patients have a major hair reduction and some even have permanent hair removal after about three to seven sessions.
This procedure targets the melanin in the hair. As a result, it works best with darker hair colours on light skin tones. So even if some hair doesn't reduce or go, this procedure can help reduce the appearance of hair on the skin. This is possible by the lightening of the hair colour.
Do & Don't for Getting Laser Hair Removal
DO: Wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF 30 before and especially after your treatment.
DO: Shave the treatment area only a night before the treatment.
DO: Make sure to choose a well-reputed clinic for the procedure.
DO: Wear goggles or protective eye-year during the procedure.
DO: Moisturise your skin properly after the procedure.
DO: Complete the course of your treatment.
DO: Go for your maintenance appointments as well.
DO: Report any unusual signs on your skin to the dermatologist, both, before and after the procedure.
DO: Ask all your queries or concerns to your doctor before the procedure.
DO: Use an antibiotic ointment in case of severe blisters.
DON’T: Go to the tanning beds or get sunburned.
DON’T: Avoid the use of perfumed lotions, creams with fragrance or topical medication before the treatment.
DON’T: Don’t wax, bleach, pluck at the treatment area for a few weeks before the procedure.
DON’T: Avoid exposing the treatment area to the sun for a week after treatment.
DON’T: Don’t take hot baths and showers or use a sauna for one or two days after the treatment.
Procedure of Laser Hair Removal
Laser hair removal uses light to target the pigment in individual hair follicles. The heat from the laser light destroys the hair follicle. As a result, hair does not grow from it.
If you are planning to undergo a laser hair removal procedure, then you should avoid the following:
- Sun exposure
- Avoiding blood-thinning medications
- Shaving is okay to do a day before laser treatment.
You should avoid other hair removal activities for at least 6 weeks before the treatment. As we know, the laser hair removal procedure targets the hair roots. However, even these activities remove the hair roots temporarily.
- Prior to the procedure, your hair will be trimmed to a few millimetres above the skin surface.
- Then, a topical numbing medicine shall be applied at least 20- 30 minutes before the laser procedure.
- The dermatologist will adjust the laser equipment according to the colour, thickness, and location of your hair and to treat as well as your skin colour.
- You and your technician will even need to wear goggles for eye protection.
- You also have to apply a cold gel. In fact, this is to help the laser light penetrate the skin.
- Then, the technician will test a small area on the skin with a pulse of light. This to ensure that the settings are correct & optimum.
- Once the procedure is complete, you will need ice packs, anti-inflammatory creams or lotions, or cold water to ease any discomfort.
- Your next treatment session can be done four to six weeks later.
- Your treatment will continue until the hair stops growing.
- Blistering in darker complexions: Using a moisturizer or cooling gel right after the procedure can help manage these symptoms.
- Sunburned skin: Patients may feel a sensation to similar to that of sunburned skin.
- Redness & irritation: Since the procedure damages hair follicles, the skin reacts by becoming red and getting irritated. However, this should reduce within a few hours after the procedure.
- Little swelling
- Scarring: Scars are nor a common side effect of this procedure. However, if the technician makes a mistake, scarring can occur. Hence, it is important to undergo this procedure with qualified practitioners. Scars may also form if people do not care for the treated area correctly afterwards.
- Changes in skin colour may occur as a temporary reaction after the procedure for some people. However, this reduces with time and the skin turns back to normal.
- Skin infection: Since the procedure damages the hair follicles, this can cause an infection risk. Hence, the treatment area should be taken care of to prevent any infection. Any unusual sensation or reaction should be reported to the dermatologist.
Post Procedure Care
- Avoid sun exposure for six weeks after the procedure. This is because sun exposure can make laser hair removal less effective.
- Cool compresses and moisturizers may help to control the sunburn.
- You can wear makeup the next day unless your face has blisters from the procedure.
- Wear sunscreen every time you go out. This will help prevent any temporary changes in the colour of the treated skin.
Most people undergo several treatments sessions over a span of 2-3 months. Most people usually require anywhere between four to six sessions. In fact, every treatment will need a time gap of six weeks each. This means that the full treatment cycle can take up to nine months.
Additionally, for the best results, you’ll likely need occasional maintenance sessions. These help ensure that the hair follicles don’t regenerate. You will need a maintenance session once or twice a year after your first treatment. However, this will vary from person to person.
Remember, this is a cosmetic procedure that requires training to perform. You need to undergo this procedure from a well-reputed clinic which is capable of managing any potential risks. Hence, make sure to do a thorough check of the credentials of the doctor or technician and the clinic, before getting laser hair removal.
Depending on your hair growth, you will need anywhere between six to eight sessions of laser hair removal. READ MORE
You start to see results immediately after treatment. The results will differ from patient to patient.