April 6, 2018
What is melasma pigmentation?
What is melasma
Melasma is a common skin problem which causes brown to gray-brown patches. Melasma also is known as butterfly Rash, chloasma faciei or mask of pregnancy. In Marathi, it is commonly known as in Maharashtra Vang. It is most commonly seen during pregnancy so that’s why called as Mask Of Pregnancy.
Appearance of melasma
- Bridge of the nose
- Upper Lip
- Rarely over shoulders and neck
Who gets melasma
Melasma is more common in females only 10% male patients get melasma
Triggering factors for Melasma
- Hormonal changes
- Few cosmetic irritant products
- Oral contraceptive pills
- Sunscreen will play a major role in the treatment of melasma. Use medicated sunscreen & which has to be applied 15 minutes prior to sun exposure. Reapply after every 2 hours in all season 365 days in spite of rain also.
- Local application of various creams like hydroquinone group, tretinoin group & oral medications
- Chemical peel
- Skin Polishing
- Fractional Q switch ND-Yag laser (Q switch laser )
Dr. Dhananjay Chavan