You Must Know these Eczema Facts
Without wasting time, let’s dive into information
- Eczema may be a general term for several forms of skin inflammation (dermatitis).
- The most common type of skin disease is atopic eczema (often these 2 terms are used interchangeably).
- Eczema can occur from a hereditary disease that ends up in an abnormality of the skin’s barrier operate.
- Eczema is most typical in infants and youngsters. Still, there is no definite age as to when it can occur.
- Causes of this disease on the skin may include environmental irritants or allergens; substances like soaps, perfumes, or chemicals; food allergies; stress; or changes in temperature or wetness.
- Treatment might include oral or topical or immune-suppressing medicine. Doctor’s prescription is advised in such cases.
- While disease of this kind is not preventable, self-care measures like the frequent association of skin and rejection of utmost temperatures and identified irritants will help rule out the severity of outbreaks.
Symptoms of Eczema:
- Eczema mostly causes dry, reddened skin that itches or burns.
- The appearance of this skin problem varies from person to person. Intense itching (pruritus) is usually the primary symptom of this skin problem.
- Sometimes, this kind of skin problem could result in blisters and oozing lesions, while sometimes it may also lead to the dry and scaly skin (xerosis is the medical term for dry skin). Continual scratching could result in thickened, crusty skin (lichenification).
- While any part of the body can be plagued by skin problem, in kids and adults, it usually happens on the face, neck, and also the insides of the elbows, knees, and ankles.
- In infants, this skin problem usually happens in the upper body parts like neck and cheeks etc.
Causes of Eczema
Some types of disease of the skin are triggered by substances that are available in contact with the skin, like soaps, cosmetics, clothing, or jewellery.
Environmental allergens (substances that cause allergic reactions) may additionally cause outbreaks of disease of the skin. Changes in temperature or humidity, or psychological stress, can also be some reasons.
Treatment for Eczema:
The main aim of the Eczema treatment is to fight itchiness, inflammation, and prevent the skin condition from worsening. Treatment of this skin disease could involve one’s lifestyle changes and medication.
Treatment usually depends on the individual’s age, overall health, and severity of the condition.
- Keep the skin well hydrated while applying creams or ointments (with a coffee water and high oil content).
- Also avoiding over-bathing is a very important step in treatment.
- It is advisable to apply petrolatum-based creams to the affected areas directly after a five-minute lukewarm shower. Little alterations in your lifestyle are vital to prevent this skin condition.
- There are mild, medium, and high-potency steroid hormone creams available in the market. You should choose your medicines considering the severity of the symptoms. If itchiness is severe, oral antihistamines are also prescribed to regulate itchiness.
By the end of this blog, you may have the best idea about what is eczema, what are the symptoms, causes and treatments. If you find such symptoms in any of your loved ones or acquaintances, then you should advise them or take them to a qualified dermatologist. This will help them. If you have any doubt then, you can write us in comment section or mail through “Ask a question”. Also, you can book an appointment with our experienced dermatologist for more detailed consultation and customised treatment.