What is Chemical Peel?
Chemical peel treatment is a technique that helps to improve skin texture. Dermatologists apply chemical peel solutions to the skin. As a result, that new area of the skin exfoliates. In fact, it eventually peels off. Therefore, this exposes fresh skin. This skin is often smoother and healthier.
Chemical peels help to treat a variety of skin issues. For example:
- Wrinkles and fine lines
- Sun damage
- Acne scars
- Mild acne scars
- Uneven skin tone
Types of chemical peels
Let’s discuss the types of chemical peels and how they are important for our skin. There are 3 types of peels, such as:
Superficial peels: One of the superficial peels is alpha-hydroxy acid. Superficial peels gently exfoliate the skin. They generally penetrate the outermost layer of skin.
Medium peels: The medium peels such as trichloroacetic or glycolic acid. These peels penetrate the middle and outer layers of skin. As a result, this helps to remove damaged skin cells.
Deep peels: Peels such as phenol or trichloroacetic acid. These peels fully penetrate the middle layer of the skin. As a result, this removes damaged skin cells. It should be administered only by a dermatologist.
Side effects of Chemical Peel
Chemical peels are safe and effective. They don’t harm much to the skin if taken care of while performing the treatment. Proper care should be taken care of is mandatory. However, patients may see some temporary side effects such as:
- Slight swelling
Now, you have understood about chemical peels and its side effects. The downtime of any peel is mostly 8 to 10 days.
It is really important to take care of your skin after peels. As your skin becomes really sensitive. You need to follow some post-care, such as:
- Sun protection: It is really important after peels. This is because the skin may become sun-sensitive for a few days after the procedure. You need to use any broad-spectrum sunscreen of 30. Daily use 3 times a day.
- Don’t wash your face with hot water: Yes it’s very important post-care, never use hot water on your face, or on the area of the treatment. Use cold water.
- Apply moisturizer: Use of proper moisturizer is really important, to keep your skin hydrated.
- Don’t use dry sauna: You need to avoid the sauna after work out.
- Avoid exercises: It is important to avoid doing heavy workouts. As sweat should be avoided.
Hence, it is your skin, so you need to take proper care. Chemical peels give good results from pigmentation, acne dark spots, acne scars, tanning, melasma, freckles, etc.