Unwanted hair growth can be distressing for various reasons for men and women both. Mostly the reasons are cosmetic as the unwanted hair growth doesn’t cause any health issues. However, most individuals ask the question – how to slow down unwanted hair growth?
This blog shares insights on how to control unwanted hair growth and keep it at the bay.
Unwanted hair growth in men and women can happen for a variety of reasons. Dermatologists explain that the most common cause is an excess of androgens, which are male hormones that include testosterone. When there is an excess of androgens in the body, it can cause hair follicles to enlarge and produce more hair than usual. This can lead to unwanted hair growth on the face, chest, and back.
Another common cause of unwanted hair growth in both men and women is genetics. Some individuals are predisposed to having more hair growth than others, regardless of their hormonal levels.
In women, certain medical conditions, such as Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) and hirsutism, also cause unwanted hair growth. In these cases, hair growth is usually accompanied by other symptoms such as acne, irregular periods, and weight gain.
Certain medications, such as anabolic steroids and testosterone or hormonal replacement therapy, can also cause unwanted hair growth.
Now let’s understand how to cure unwanted hair growth.
There are several ways to prevent and slow down unwanted hair growth in both men and women. Some methods include:
- Hair removal methods such as shaving, waxing, or using depilatory creams can temporarily remove hair at home, but they do not prevent future growth.
- Laser hair reduction is the newest, safest and more permanent solution, though multiple treatment sessions are usually required, almost permanent hair removal can be achieved.
- Electrolysis uses a small electrical current to destroy hair follicles and is also a more permanent solution to slow down unwanted hair growth, it can be time-consuming and may require multiple sessions.
- Medications such as birth control pills or other hormonal pills can also slow down hair growth, but it is best to consult a doctor before starting any new medication.
- Topical creams, such as eflornithine cream, can slow down unwanted facial hair growth but needs to be used over a period of time.
- Lastly, hormonal imbalance due to medical conditions such as Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) or Hirsutism can cause unwanted hair growth and requires a consultation with a dermatologist or gynaecologist to get the best course of treatment to cure the excessive hair growth.
It’s important to note that the best method for preventing or slowing down unwanted hair growth will depend on the individual case and the cause of the hair growth. Our dermatologists at Clear Skin Clinics, Pune can help determine the best course of treatment for you.
For treating your skin condition, feel free to get in touch with one of our best dermatologists in Pune
. You can also call on +919584584111
to book an appointment at one of our skin clinics near you.